The BMX racing season is about to click into top gear and I am proud to reveal the news that we have added a fifth rider to our talented pool of talent which makes up the Bulldog BMX Racing team.
It was always our plan to expand our involvement in the sport this year and you will already know that our successful 2021 team of Eddie and Archie Smallman and Sophie Kynaston were joined earlier this year with the signing of Aaron Corfield.
Today I can reveal that a fifth rider has joined our ranks and we are delighted to welcome Alex Hemmings, aged 12, to the team. Alex races Cruiser alongside Archie and both know each other well as pupils of Lawley Primary School.
It's quite a team, believe me! A measure of which can be gauged by the fact that all four of the younger riders have qualified for this year's World Championships to be held in Nantes, France, in July.
Aaron will be cheering them along from home as he concentrates on his GCSE exams.
We wish Alex, Sophie, Eddie and Archie all the best as they take their places on the sport's world stage! We can't wait for the championships to start and follow their success!
Continuing our involvement with BMX racing and sponsoring our own team was never in doubt this season - it's a family-friendly sport which produces thrilling action by riders whose families enjoy the great atmosphere of racing weekends where lasting friendships are made and retained, despite the cut and thrust of on-track competition.
We're right on track!
It's also a great sport to be involved in from a sponsorship point of view with literally thousands of people attending events up and down the country during the course of the season.
It's a win-win situation for Bulldog and also affords us the opportunity to support a team of young people committed to doing something really positive and constructive with their time - as well as being excellent ambassadors for the sport and our company.
The team performed exceptionally well last year with Eddie, Archie and Sophie taking part in every round of the British BMX Series and we are looking forward to building on those achievements in 2022.
The team have arrived back safe from racing in Rounds 3 and 4 of the British BMX Series in Kent last weekend and are now looking forward to racing Rounds 5 and 6 in Cumbernauld in Scotland in May.
Healing vibes to Aaron who took a bad tumble during training on Friday which saw him take a visit to A&E and left him trackside for the weekend.
The soaring cost of fuel is having a devastating effect on everyday lives but another knock-on of the present crisis is the increase in petrol, diesel and heating oil thefts.
We are seeing reports of criminal gangs targeting haulage depots, lorries and cars being drained of fuel and even drivers being drugged or assaulted as thieves attempt to cash in to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Methods range from this kind of full-frontal attack to the more sophisticated, which has even included switching off street lights so the crime can be carried out under the cover of darkness. The problem has even led to police in Nottinghamshire going undercover and deploying a ‘decoy capture lorry' in a bid to catch criminals in the act.
It's not our policy, for obvious reasons, to go into any detail about how these thefts can be carried out. We believe the fact that it's happening and is on the increase means we need to alert businesses, vehicle owners and residents who use heating oil in their homes to what's going on and the need to do something to prevent it.
Vehicle owners should:
● Make sure you fit a lockable fuel cap.
● Fit a car alarm and tracker, which will also alert you to any vehicle tampering.
● Park in a garage if you have one, or on the drive with the added protection of a security post.
● If you have to park on the street, leave your vehicle in a well-lit area.
● Install security lighting and security cameras.
● Fit a steering lock and wheel clamp for additional security.
Homeowners with a heating oil tank in the garden should also consider the security light and CCTV options - it's actually a prudent measure for every home, anyway! And you should also fit a fuel tank lock.
Hauliers need to ensure their compounds are secure, alarmed, have the appropriate security lighting and CCTV and for additional insurance fit:
A constant threat
We are living in extraordinary times and the rising cost of fuel is likely to be with us for a while, but even in more normal times the cost of fuel plays a huge part in our day-to-day lives - which means theft is a constant threat and there is always someone waiting to cash in on the misfortune of others.
Being aware of the risks means you are in a better position to act and protect your property in a way that could prevent you being the victim of theft - but don't leave it too long before you do something about it!
Caravan, motorhome and camping sites are preparing to open with all indications pointing to another boom for the staycation this year.
Many holidayed in the UK last year with the uncertainties surrounding Covid and travelling abroad and the signs are that staycations will again be the holiday of choice in 2022 as people either remain apprehensive about foreign travel or enjoyed the rediscovery of what a domestic holiday can bring and simply want more!
And why not? It's sometimes easy to lose sight of the wonderful holiday locations our country has to offer and we are thrilled to think that people are continuing to appreciate what we have available in the UK.
Showing the way
The recent NEC Camping, Caravan & Motorhome Show reinforced this view by selling out - which has to be good news for the industry. It's also the case that as more caravans and motorhomes come off the production line we too have seen a spike in orders.
As people sell their old caravans and motorhomes to make way for new ones, the new owners need to invest in the all-important security to keep their pride and joy safe. Security is also on the minds of those taking their caravans out of storage and preparing them for hitting the road.
Here's our checklist
Help to make your break a memorable one for all the right reasons by carrying a wheelclamp or steering wheel lock for the motorhome or caravan and your hitchlock to stop your tourer being driven away.
Another valuable addition to our catalogue of crime deterrents is the Bulldog Secure Alarm - our very own creation which is proving highly effective in protecting homes, caravans and motorhomes.
And don't forget to tick off the Bulldog tracker on your list. An additional one on your vehicle, caravan or motorhome for added security and personal ones for your children, vulnerable adults or personal possessions - providing the peace of mind which will help you enjoy your holiday.
It's also a good time to remind you about protecting your caravan if it's parked on your drive at home. A simple but effective security post placed in front of your caravan will prevent thieves making off with it.
It's always great to feel we are heading into the holiday season and being able to hit the road for that well-earned break. As always, take our best wishes with you and our products which will help you remain safe and secure.
Recent reports in the local press about an increase in the number of Land Rover Defender thefts and attempted thefts from farms across Shropshire are a timely reminder to owners of the need to step-up their vehicle security.
The alert was issued by Graham Donaldson, the rural and business crime officer at West Mercia Police, who said farmers were being visited by police and advised on the steps they could take to minimise the risk of becoming a victim of theft.
All the targeted vehicles were registered in the early 2000s and while the article focussed on Land Rover Defenders, we thought it would be a good time to highlight the dangers of vehicle theft in general from farms, often isolated locations which make them particularly attractive to thieves.
A costly investment
Vehicles and machinery are expensive items and there are a number of different types needed on farms, including tractors, trailers, plant equipment, quad bikes, all-terrain vehicles, lorries for transporting livestock and equipment, and a variety of complementary machinery such as bailers, ploughs, harrows, water bowsers, seeders and spreaders.
It all adds up to a major investment and that's without taking into account the family car or cars, motorbikes and anything else of value that you can think of.
Lock it up
Where possible all your vehicles and equipment should be kept in a secure building and not left around the farm where they can be easily stolen. In cases where equipment has to be left outside try to anchor it to an immovable object, remove all keys from vehicles and ensure they are always locked.
Leave vehicles in a lighted area, consider installing security lighting, alarms and CCTV for additional assurance and make sure all your vehicles and equipment are tracked. Steering wheel locks and wheel clamps are excellent cost-effective additions to your security and can be fitted easily.
Security posts are another simple option which can be installed in front of barn or other out-building doors and can also be used to ‘wedge' vehicles and equipment into place making it difficult for the thief to steal.
That's what it is all about, really. Look at your security and come up with a plan which makes life as hard as possible for the criminal - to the point where they will hopefully give up on the attempt and move on to potentially easier targets.
There are a range of security options at your disposal and if you're looking for advice on what best suits your requirements, give our team a call on 01952 728171.
I am delighted to reveal that we have agreed to extend our sponsorship of the Bulldog BMX Racing team for a third year - a season which promises so much with all three of the team's current riders qualifying for the BMX World Championships in France in July.
It was a decision which didn't take long to make after the on-track success of 2021 and I am also pleased to announce that we will actually be expanding the team this season. We are delighted to announce Aaron Corfield, 16, from the Isle of Man will be joining the team and proudly flying the Bulldog flag. He will be juggling travel, racing and his GCSE exams too! Good luck Aaron!
Aaron is no stranger to the Bulldog team as he is a cousin of team member Sophie and was the one who inspired Sophie to start BMX!
With the 2020 season virtually wiped out because of Covid, it was terrific to see BMX racing return last year (2021), albeit with a shorter season than normal and I am sure that our continued sponsorship will come as good news for all of you who follow our team's journey on Facebook.
Despite the pandemic the Bulldog BMX Racing team of Eddie and Archie Smallman and Sophie Kynaston competed in every round of the 2021 British BMX Series and turned in some really memorable performances. The Smallman boys moved to the Birmingham BMX Club during the course of the season and Sophie ended the year as Wrekin Riders BMX Club's Rider of the Year.
They were all great ambassadors for Bulldog Security Products and the plan is now to attract more riders to wear the Bulldog colours this season. I will be bringing you more news on this over the coming weeks, so watch this space!
The highlight of the year will undoubtedly be the BMX World Championships in France this summer and we wish the team well - but there's a lot of racing to be completed before then and I can't wait for the new season to get under way.
I am still an avid mountain bike competitor and remain as passionate as ever about promoting and supporting sporting endeavour whenever possible, which is why it was so important for Bulldog as a company to continue the sponsorship of our BMX team. Community clubs and organisations need the support of businesses now more than ever in what are extremely difficult times.
A timely reminder
With the start of a new BMX season now only weeks away before riders and their families hit the road, I thought it would be a good time to issue a general reminder about security and the steps you can take to keep your property and family safe when you are away from home.
It's important that those of you who have caravans and motorhomes are aware of the security implications and remember to take Bulldog Security Products away with you to keep the thieves at bay.
Some of the measures you can take are basic but effective measures like the steering wheel lock and the wheel clamp while our state-of-the-art trackers are the ideal option for protecting vehicles and people. On the subject of bikes, you may be unaware of our new bike chain lock system and wall mounted bicycle hook which is helping to keep bikes secure at home.
Good luck Team Bulldog!
Aaron Corfield from The Isle of Man who has joined Bulldog BMX Racing team. He is joining his cousin Sophie Kynaston (pictured) and Eddie and Archie Smallman
We've said it before and we'll say it again! Don't be a victim of Christmas-time thieves!
It has to be THE MOST VULNERABLE TIME OF THE YEAR in terms of theft with everyone buying presents and ferrying them about before hoarding them on the lead up to the big day at homes which are often insecure - making them prime targets for the criminal.
Keep your guard up and stay on the alert
It's easy to forget just how much you have invested in Christmas presents, not to mention all the other things in your home which are valuable to you and your family in terms of both cost and emotional attachment. Things you cherish which can be gone in an instant if you drop your guard and relax your security mindset for even the shortest periods of time.
There are basic precautions you can take with respect to crime prevention - particularly at this festive time but the principals apply to any time of the year:
● Don't leave deliveries on your doorstep for all to see.
● Don't advertise your Christmas shopping on social media.
● Don't let slip the all-important information about when you won't be at home.
● Don't leave your sheds, garages and porches insecure.
A time for giving
Christmas is a wonderful time and while you are thinking about what gifts you are planning to give family and friends, it's worth taking a moment to also CONSIDER THE VALUE OF SPENDING A LITTLE MONEY ON YOUR HOME SECURITY.
We have some of the toughest products on the market, manufactured to the highest quality and items which just might make thieves think twice about targeting your property. They include:
● The Bulldog Secure Alarm - The ultimate deterrent in home security and one of the very best products on the market. It has a variety of features, all painstakingly designed to keep your home and family safe and secure. It has the additional benefit of being an alarm you can fit yourself in under an hour.
● Security lighting - A great way of letting you know when someone's about and still strikes fear of discovery into the hearts of criminals.
● Garage and roller shutter door locks - The ideal option for keeping your garage or roller shutter doors locked, preventing access.
● Chains - Our comprehensive range of chains can be anchored to the floor or walls, easily securing your property and preventing theft. This simple but effective product is also ideal for securing gates.
● Workshop and shed door locks - A valuable contribution to your security arrangements when it comes to gates, double doors, sliding doors and storage containers.
● Security posts - Can be installed quickly and easily in front of a parked vehicle or garage and shed doors to prevent valuable equipment being stolen.
● Fuel tank lock - A simple device to thwart heating oil theft.
● GPS Tracking - A range of tracking options which will not only protect your home, vehicles and other property, but also vulnerable family members.
Our products are leading the field in the security industry - they are designed by our experts to be the toughest criminal deterrent possible and manufactured to the highest specifications with the most robust materials which are designed to last.
It's a reputation we are proud of and one which has been built up over many years of experience. We have a comprehensive range of security products and while their quality is second-to-none, certain checks and maintenance need to be carried out periodically to ensure they remain operating at peak efficiency.
Moving parts bring wear and tear and will ultimately result in a product not functioning as it should or breaking down which is why NOW would be a good time to check your Bulldog device and see that it's in tip-top condition.
We have the answer
Needless to say, our involvement with you doesn't end with the sale of one of our products and we can provide the answer to any maintenance issues that may arise with an extensive range of spares. These include spare parts for your:
● Hitchlock - including dummy ring plates for minilocks, bolt caps, a false ball to be used with the WW100B minilock and a recessed cup for use with the SA1 and SA1C Bulldog lock bolt.
● Wheel clamps - including lock bolts, adjustment screws, rubber discs for Titan and Centaur Wheel Clamps, fasteners, steel discs, spanner and cover plate.
● Security posts - including ground lock tube, post socket and socket cover plate.
● Lock bolts - including red and black dust caps, super and commercial lock bolts.
● Stabiliser - including angle brackets and accessories, car brackets, locking studs for car brackets, miscellaneous stabiliser parts and replacement friction discs.
The key to every problem
We are also able to provide you with replacement or additional keys for your Bulldog products - all you will need when ordering the key is the number stamped on the key and delivery time takes between 10 and 14 working days.
We know only too well how easy it is to put off making checks on equipment and carrying out basic maintenance, but it really is important and will ensure your Bulldog product continues to do what it's supposed to - protecting you, your family and your property. Why not do it now, while you think about it?
It doesn't seem that long since we were talking about the clocks changing in March, does it? But here we are looking at the onset of autumn, the clocks going back and darker nights which are such an ally to thieves.
The clocks will be changing at the end of October and that's our cue to remind you about your home security and steps you can take to ensure your family and possessions remain safe from the unwanted attention of criminals.
A good time to act
There are a number of things you can do to enhance your security at home, but don't forget the garage and shed - all tempting targets containing valuable items which need to be protected.
As always, the team at Bulldog is ready, willing and able to meet your security requirements with some of the toughest products on the market, top quality items guaranteed to make life just that bit harder for the thief. They include:
● The Bulldog Secure Alarm - A professional alarm of the highest quality which YOU can install yourself in under an hour. It has a range of features which makes it a market leader in home protection.
● Chains - We supply a range of chains which can be anchored to the floor or walls to help you secure your property while preventing theft. Our robust chains are also beneficial in securing gates at your premises.
● Shed and workshop door locks - A high security option suitable for double doors, gates, storage containers and sliding doors.
● Security posts - A simple but effective device which can be installed easily in front of a vehicle parked on your drive or to ‘block' garage and shed doors to deter equipment being stolen.
● Security lighting - Still the best way of lighting up a potential crime scene, while illumination remains one of the biggest fears for thieves.
● Garage and roller shutter door locks - Specifically designed to keep your garage or roller shutter doors locked and preventing access.
● Fuel tank lock - An excellent device to prevent your heating oil being stolen.
● Skip locks - The ideal deterrent to the theft of skips.
● GPS Tracking - A range of tracking options to protect your home, vehicles, property and family.
It's easy to become complacent when it comes to home security but the consequences can be severe - the cost of the items stolen, valued possessions which are special to you and the distressing circumstances of having your personal places breached by home invaders. Taking security precautions can be simple, effective and save all the emotional heartache associated with burglary and theft. Give us a call today on 01952 728171 to find out how we can help you.
Thousands of lorry thefts are happening across the country every year resulting in millions of pounds in lost vehicles and cargos. These thefts are on the increase with the worrying trend sparking calls for Government action recently from the Road Haulage Association - so just how safe are your lorries and drivers?
We have seen a lot of lorries parked up in ports, haulage yards and elsewhere over the last year for obvious reasons but many others have still been out on our roads delivering the goods so essential to keeping the country running.
The problem if you are a transport manager is how to keep lorries, loads and drivers safe and secure, so are you confident that your security is as tight as it can be?
Facts and figures
The National Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service has revealed that in the first nine months of last year, goods valued at £48m were stolen in 3,016 lorry thefts across the UK.
Then, in May this year, the Road Haulage Association called on the Government to give greater importance to lorry cargo thefts saying it was "a significant and growing problem which incurs substantial losses".
If you add to this mix an estimated more than a third of UK businesses being hit by van thefts, then the scale of the problem becomes clear.
What can be done?
There are a number of simple steps that can be taken when it comes to HGV and van security - and we have them all covered at Bulldog Security Products!
● On the right lines - our airline lock prevents the brakes being released on HGVs and vans.
● Keep it contained - a robust container lock will help keep your cargo where it should be.
● Staying on track - Bulldog tracking solutions incorporate the very latest technology, helping to keep track of vehicles, loads and the safety of drivers.
● Prevent that theft - a kingpin articulated trailer lock will prevent vehicle coupling.
● Posting your intentions - security posts are a simple and effective deterrent to thieves.
● Get it clamped - wheel clamps will help prevent the movement of vans and HGVs.
● Keep it locked - we have a range of door locks to toughen up your lorry and van security.
● Government approval - a steering wheel lock is still one of the easiest to fit and most effective ways of preventing theft - and the Bulldog steering wheel lock comes with Department of Transport approval.
For more information about how we can help you meet your HGV and van security needs, call the team on 01952 728171.
Are you an avid mountain biker, walker, skier or maybe live alone with health issues? If so, you will want the reassurance of knowing that the alarm will be raised if something happens to you!
Sharing is caring and sharing your location with your loved ones could be the difference between life and death - because time matters!
The Bulldog TR99 tracker is a small device which can be slipped into your pocket and will notify pre-designated contacts through its innovative ‘man down' feature if you fall or are taken ill.
Always in touch
The TR99 will sense a fall and after a predetermined period of time will call the preset numbers, providing full GPS coordinates of your location to those people you have chosen as contacts.
It is small, light, waterproof, shockproof and is a must-have item if you:
● Are walking in remote areas.
● Are involved in things like skiing, swimming, cycling, mountain biking - anything which means being out of contact and alone for any length of time.
● Have elderly or vulnerable loved ones who may be living alone.
● Are an isolated worker or someone who's job takes them into locations or situations of potential danger.
We are all at risk of tripping, falling or being targeted in an act of violence. Our TR99 tracker's SOS phone alert will raise the alarm if something happens, sharing your location in real time through the best available tracking service.
How does it work?
The TR99 offers three modes of communication and monitoring:
● Through our smartphone app or via the internet, providing location details and push notifications.
● The tracker will make and receive phone calls with the added feature of making an automatic call if you have a fall.
● It is equipped with a Short Message Service which provides alerts and key information and a tracker location with integrated Google Map links.
The TR99 tracker comes with a battery life of up to 400 hours which means it won't let you down, providing you with the confidence of knowing that it will spring into action and do exactly what it is meant to at the time when you need to rely on it the most.